Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, September 13, 2010

Silly Nuggets



Hey Y'all:


What is the #1 fast food restaurant that children automatically recognize?

McDonald's - who could pass by the huge arches and funny looking clown! Not me when I was 2 and certainly not my three little Brown's. On any given out and about day my kiddies will announce that they are hungry, as soon as they pass by our friendly neighborhood Mickey D's. Well no more McNuggets for the three little Brown's not after the article I read last week!


While perusing my daily Black News site; NewsOne I came across an article about McDonald Chicken Nuggets. The headline made my stomach turn! McDonald’s McNuggets Made With ‘Silly Putty’ Chemical. Yes silly putty the stuff we used to play with as kids. It's like rubber but not.


Here are the ingredients for American Chicken Nuggets as reported by CNN Health:

(190 calories, 12 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat for 4 pieces) contain
the chemical preservative tBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product. They also contain dimethylpolysiloxane, “an anti-foaming agent” also used in Silly Putty.

Why do chicken nuggets contain anti-foaming agents? What does that even mean? I continued reading the article and found that an NYU professor and author of “What to Eat,” says the chemicals don't pose a health risk, but we should still refrain from eating anything with ingredients we cannot pronounce! Chicken Nuggets from McDonald's are now banned from my children's out of home meals!


I shared the article with my husband and told him how disgusted I was with the entire idea of our babies eating such unhealthy meals. He totally agreed with me and said he wouldn't make pit stops at Mickey D's anymore. That evening I walk into the house and find my precious little ones sitting at their table eating what? CHICKEN NUGGETS & FRENCH FRIES! From Burger King UGH.....


I can't win with that man. Of course his argument was "well you said they couldn't eat McDonald's Nuggets you didn't say anything about Burger King!!!!!"


How do you handle feeding time or quick meals when you are out and about with toddlers and grade schoolers? HELP!!!


Until next time...

MUAH!

1 comment:

  1. I say you buy the food yourself and store food in the fridge, and all he has to do is heat it up. If Frank is out and need to feed the lil one I recommend Wendys, you get all pure White Meat if he's going for the nuggets again. Personally, I never ate MD nasty nuggets because I've tasted that rubber stuff and it just didn't seem like food was suppose to have that texture! So cousin Preston won't be eating that junk either amongst other crazy cheap unhealthy foods.

    ReplyDelete