While scrolling my Facebook timeline I saw the image of Lee Thompson Young, the former star of late '90s Disney Channel series The Famous Jett Jackson, and current star of one of my favorite TNT shows Rizzoli & Isles,
- Suicide was the tenth leading cause of death for all ages in 2010.
- There were 38,364 suicides in 2010 in the United
- States--an average of 105 each day.
- Based on data about suicides in 16 National Violent
- Death Reporting System states in 2009, 33.3% of suicide decedents tested positive for alcohol, 23% for antidepressants, and 20.8% for opiates, including heroin and prescription pain killers.
- Suicide results in an estimated $34.6 billion in combined medical and work loss costs.
- Talking about wanting to die
- Looking for a way to kill oneself
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious, agitated or recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings
- The more of these signs a person shows, the greater the risk. Warning signs are associated with suicide but may not be what causes a suicide.
- Do not leave the person alone
- Remove any ﬁ rearms, alcohol, drugs or sharp objects that could be used in a suicide attempt
- Call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Take the person to an emergency room or seek help from a medical or mental health professional
Until next time...