Welcome to another Adoption Wednesday post. Today I'd like to talk about a path to adoption that can help a child in need.
Here are some steps to take to become a Foster Parent in NYS... I'm sure the steps are similar in most states sometimes even a bit simpler.
The prospective foster home must be evaluated and determined to meet basic physical, health, and safety requirements. Homefinders visit prospective foster parents at home and collect detailed information about the applicants as well as other household members and potential caregivers for the child. In general, prospective foster parents are asked about:
- Experience with raising children.
- Experience with issues of child abuse or neglect.
- Approach to discipline.
- Awareness of the importance of measures that provide a safe environment for children.
- Awareness of the potential impact of foster parenting on family members and the family’s current life style.
- Ability and interest in being a partner in carrying out the permanency plan.
Until next time...