Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

MrsDeveter's Winter MUST Reads!

Hey Ya'll:
Ok, so we really haven't had a winter to speak of in the North East. But I still feel compelled to pull together my reading lists per season. I'll keep this one short since we are heading into Spring; can you believe we are already in March! Time truly flies when you are having fun.
My number one pick is a trilogy; a young adult trilogy at that. I'm sure most of you have heard of it by now because of the movie but you GOTTA read the books soooooooo good.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire & MockingJay by Suzanne Collins
This trilogy is about Katniss a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.


Now that's just book one... I was up until 3 A.M. because I HAD to finish it to find out what happened to Katniss. When I got to the the last page my mouth was agape! I had to read more; so I stayed up until A.M. to get a jump start on the second book and Suzanne Collins did not disappoint, Catching Fire and MockingJay were page turners as well. You will either love or loath every character in this book. It will make you think of the US as we know it and it will no doubt make you shake your head. Great read and highly recommended. I'm really happy that I was introduced to the trilogy by a friend once all of the books were complete because I don't think I would have been able to wait to find out what happens to Katniss! You gotta read this before you go see the movie which looks amazing.

A Hard Man is Good to Find by James W. Lewis
Now onto more adult content and honey ... when I tell you Author James W. Lewis can tell I story I mean he can TELL a story.

MICHELLE LARSEN has found a man straight out of a romance novel–handsome, fit, educated, and pulling in a six-figure income. Despite the exceptional qualities and his obvious interest in her, things are moving too slow between them. Unlike most men who can’t wait to get in her pants, this particular man refuses to take things to the next level.

DARYL JACKSON has grown tired of the nightclub scene and wants to settle down, but he has a secret that always seems to interrupt any potential love connection once he reveals it. He believes Michelle is the ideal woman, but can she handle the truth?
After six weeks of dating, and still no attempt from him to get her “horizontal,” Michelle grows sex-starved. She is driving herself crazy trying to figure out Daryl’s problem! During a weekend getaway in Palm Springs, Michelle finally puts an end to the what’s-wrong-with-Daryl guessing game and demands to know what’s up. Not only does Daryl answer all her questions, Michelle learns first hand that you really need to be careful with what you wish for!
Here is my review on Amazon
I just finished this book today and honey; when I say it had me CRACKING up I mean it!
I read Sellout (is there a follow up? I need to read more about Terrell, Tammy, Penelope, Sheryl and especially Tomi; I know there is more to his story!) Anyway back to my initial review; after reading Sellout I was itching to find another novel penned by Mr Lewis and chile when I downloaded A Hard Man Is Good To Find it was exactly what I needed. This book was COMICAL, HONEST and a great easy quick read. Michelle was HIGH larious (tee hee) Daryl was perfect and so were all the other characters. I connected with them and will be sure to include James Lewis as one of the must read authors on my winter list! Heck I might even do a giveaway!!! Listen... I heart "The Two-Minute Drill" that mess was on point and again HIGHLARIOUS!!! Keep up the good work James W. Lewis... keep up the good work! 


My final winter pick is Inspired by... The Bible Experience 
I think everyone should read the Bible at least once in their lives; and in my opinion nothing beats listening to an audio Bible read by the likes of Angela Bassett, Samuel L. Jackson, Blair Underwood, James Avery, Eric Benet and Loretta Devine just to name a few. According to Christianbook.com - The Bible Experience is an inspiring audio Bible that features an unprecedented cast of over 400 of today's distinguished Hollywood actors, actresses, musicians, and producers. It features movie-quality sound effects and background music. I have downloaded six so far and really enjoy listening to them. In lieu of the Lenten season here is the Easter story from The Bible Experience.

Enjoy



Until next time...
MUAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment