Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 1, 2013

National Poetry Month 2013

Hey Y'all,

April is National Poetry Month.
I considered myself a poet once upon a time. That is until I was introduced to the world of Poets in Brooklyn NY. There was a poetry revelation going on within the African American community, these kids were 'crunchy granola's. The first Black people I've ever meet that were vegetarians and politically radical. I was introduced to this new world through my then boyfriend, now husband who  is a drummer. In those days we were students at Purchase College. I was a Lit major and he was a Jazz major. He was always on the look out for gigs, it didn't matter what it was as long as he could play his drums he was a happy man. During this unknown revolution he was provided the opportunity to tour in Europe with a group named the Vibe Khameleons which featured the raw talent of anti pop musicians and poets. It was through him that I was truly introduced to poetry. Not just to poetry you read in school but true black poets. I learned about  Sonya Sanchez and Nikki Giovanni, listened to The Last Poets and visited the famed  Nuyorican Poets Cafe.

This April I will feature some of the great poems and poets from this revolution  I hope you enjoy it.



Dreams
by Langston Hughes
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
- See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16075#sthash.Qhgp3eIV.dpuf



No comments:

Post a Comment