I'm a New Yorker! Born, raised and still reside. I have a problem though and it's with the MTA! It SUCKS!!!! So here is my top 10 reasons why...
I seriously dislike the NYC Metropolitan Transit Authority
10. Trains and buses are filthy! Between the bottles and food that's left on the train, and the newspapers and trash left on the bus I'm fed up. What pray tell are the darn folks with orange vests doing all day? I have yet to see someone clean a bus when it reaches the depot! Nasty
9. The rodents! Why I ask? Why are there so many rats on the tracks? I know it has a lot to do with point number 10 but really? What's up with poison or rat traps or something? Now we are being visited by sky rats (pigeons) they are now entering the station and sometimes even the train.
8. Communication - OK so I see the big yellow and orange posters that are around the stations and on the trains and even on the buses when there are services changes or notices but they are never clear! Then you have the dang on intercoms on the train platform they SUCK. When I'm on the F train I can't hear a thing! And why, why I ask don't all of the conductors on EVERY train announce the station? I mean we all don't know what stop is next! The lady sitting next to me from Idaho trying to get to the tree lighting shouldn't have to ask every person on the A train if she's going in the right direction.
7. How can they increase my fare but not my space. So we have these new buses that really SUCK! There is major space in the front of the bus but there is a huge hump of some sort covering the tire so there isn't space for seats. Then you have a few seats but no hand rails it's so annoying!
6. Customer Service is usually pretty HORRIBLE! I take the same bus every morning to get to my train then I have to transfer to another train. Yes I take a bus and two trains to work every single day! Any who I get on the same bus see the same bus driver and she NEVER speaks when greeted. I get you might not love your job but if you are working with the public the least you can do is say hi back or you're welcome when someone says thank you. Ugh... so annoying. Not to mention the fact that escalators and elevators at most stations are either broken down or under repair half the darn time. Then when the weather is inclement (as they say) why can't they put more trains out or more buses on the roads. Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean folks don't have to get to work or kids to school!
5. Panhandlers so I hear the announcement that it's against the law to give money to the homeless on the train. But here is what I'm trying to figure out... how exactly do these people manage to remain in the transit system for so long? Most of these people look like they never leave. We often see the same people asking for money on the same lines EVERY day. What's really being done about this besides telling riders not to give them money?
4. Sick Passenger - Ok people if you are sick DON'T GET ON THE TRAIN. However if someone does become ill on a train why? why I ask does the entire grid get jacked up? I've been on trains when they take the train out of service because there is a sick passenger. How does that help the sick person? Why can't the station manager come get the sick person and wait with them until EMS comes to the rescue? Why must I be late to my dentist appointment because someone got sick? I don't get it. Am I missing something her?
3. Metro card machine. Is there an ulterior motive motive for the metro card machine being done on Monday morning? I mean you want us to use the machine, force us really to use the machine when to took away the token clerk from most stations. So again I have a question Why my dear MTA do you make it so difficult for us to make it to our destination late on Monday morning because the machine won't take cash or only takes cash and not credit or doesn't give you an unlimited just a single ride. I don't get it... there must be an ulterior motive for this behaviour!
2. Fare hikes. I remember when the train and bus cost .75. We are now paying $2.25 and the service is the SAME. Where is my money going? The MTA has the ability to cripple this city and they know it. If we don't have train and bus service many jobs will go undone but the questions remains why tax the people that are keeping this city that never sleeps awake? I don't know if I can handle another fare increase. Not sure when they'll ask for the next one but if they do I'll be sure to protest!
The number 1 reason why I seriously dislike the MTA is because they are trying to force school kids to buy their own metro cards! How in the world can this happen? Do they not realize how many children will end up being truants because their family can not afford to purchase additional metro cards? Are they seriously considering doing this to our city and to our youth? Does the MTA not realize that by doing so they will ultimately damage an entire generation and stunt their growth with this single action? Currently a monthly metrocards costs $89 dollars! I am a family of five and I can only think of what that would mean for my household if all of my children were train/bus age. My husband and I would need metrocards and one for each of our children so that's $445 a month on top of food, clothes, shelter, supplies etc! How the heck can they get away with this? I'm signing this petition to fight for our kids, please join me!
I know that was a long one but I had to get it out. Feel free to leave your top 5 or 10 in the comments area!
Until next time...